HomePortalLinksInfoMapsRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

Share | 

The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic

PostSubject: The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu   Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 pm

In the latest Famitsu, magazine writers were able to get a up close and personal look at the Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Test! They wrote all about what players can expect, and provided some very juicy information and pictures for us to enjoy.

Discuss this in the ZAM Forums!

Character Creation

Famitsu boasts that the character creation system is so deep, you'll be nitpicking your avatar setting all day long trying to get it just right. Even the alpha, while not complete, has a considerable amount of variations available such as face type, skin color, hair style and body size. There are even smaller details, like putting highlights or streaks in your hair, that are customizable. There will be brand new aspects of your character to select as well -- there will even be a number of different voice types.

The character creation process begins with selecting one's race and customizing the avatar. Once your character is complete, you begin the game and set up your Class, birthday and Guardian Diety. What effects one's Guardian Diety will have in game are unknown at this time. Once all those steps are complete, you choose your name, which as we know consists of both a first and last name.

Seamless Fields and Instanced Areas

Leaving a town brings you into the Field Area where you have your adventures. FFXIV will have a seamless transition between areas that requires no loading time. From their experience with the game, Famitsu says this really gives Eorzea the feeling of a wide, expansive world. In addition, the background music transitions naturally between the areas you traverse.

A new addition, familiar to many MMO players, is the Instanced Area. This is where a private copy of an area is created, into which only you and your party can enter. These will be used in FFXIV for special events, an example being when cut scenes take place in order to eliminate outside effects and noise, allowing the player to enjoy their cut scene in peace.

The Menu System

• Status & Equip: Opens up the Status & Equip screen (pictured below)
  • Action: Unknown... may contain commands like Trade, Craft etc?
  • Physical Bonus: Unknown... a place to allocate points to stats?
  • Item: Displays your inventory
  • Journal: Opens up your Guildleve menus
  • Party: Opens up party-related lists/functions
  • Map: Displays the full area map
  • Teleport: Instantly move to any Aetheryte you have visited at least once
  • Warp: Instantly return to the last Aetheryte you visited
  • Logout: Leave Eorzea and return to the harsh banality of Earth

Guildleve and the Battle System

Guildleves are like "quests" that you can undertake by visiting an adventurer's guild in a city. The contents of a Guildleve can vary player to player, and you can attempt them alone or with a group. To begin your selected Guildleve, first you must seek out Aetheryte in a Field Area. Players can move instantly to Aetheryte they have visited once before by selecting the "Teleport" command.

The difficulty of a Guildleve changes based on your selected party size. However, the party sizes are not selected directly, but rather through 5 different categories.

Now, as a big kanji nut, something that I found interesting that I'm going to bore you with here is: Judging from what is revealed in Famitsu, the party sizes are described through 四字熟語 (yo-ji-juku-go) or four-characteridioms. These are terms constructed of four kanji that together hold a profound meaning. Many of these terms cannot be translated directly, or take entire sentences just to explain -- they are tough for even native Japanese to remember! Often times, you will see them translated as clever puns or a play on words that keeps it snappy while attempting to capture the original meaning.

Here are the party sizes and difficulty levels from ☆(easy) to ☆☆☆☆☆(hard) Party sizes are approximated based on what we know, i.e. recommended parties are 6-8 members, and the max is 15 members.

• ☆ - 孤軍奮闘 (ko-gun-fun-tou) - A Lone Fighting Force , (solo)
  • ☆☆ - 少数精鋭 (shou-suu-sei-ei) - An Elite Few , (below 6 members)
  • ☆☆☆ - 推奨人数 (sui-shou-nin-zuu) - Recommened Party Size, (6-8 party)
  • ☆☆☆☆ - 千軍万馬 (sen-gun-ban-ba) - A Great Army *lit. 1,000 Units & 10,000 Horses* , (9+ members)
  • ☆☆☆☆☆ - 人海戦術 (jin-kai-sen-jutsu) - A Vertiable Ocean of People *similarin meaning to swarm/zerg* , (~ 15 members)

Many Guildleves involved combat, and the Famitsu team was kind enough to explain the flow of combat below:

1) Target your enemy - Find the enemy you wish to attack and select it. Once selected, the L3 button will initiate Target Lock, keeping you facing the enemy's direction.

2) Ready your weapon - Move your cursor over your weapon of choice and press Circle. Once selected, R1 will take out your weapon and ready your stance. Now you are in "Active Mode" and able to engage the enemy.

3) Select your commands - A list of your commands is displayed at the bottom of the screen. Underneath each icon is a guage showing how much time remains until they are ready for use.

4) Store up your Action Guage - Once your Action Guage is full, you can activate commands. To boost their effect, store up the Effect Guage.

5) Using the Effect Guage - You can activate commands immediately, or you can enhance their effects by storing up your Effect Guage. This guage is constantly building, so timing is important.

Convenience and Travel Time

Aetheryte provides the foundation for adventure for all players. It exists out in Field Areas as well as inside cities. Aetheryte serves as a the launching point for a Guildleve and the destination for Teleport. All players are able to use Teleport right from the start. In addition, once a quest is complete, an Aethereal Node will appear, allowing players to easily warp back to the original Aetheryte they came from. Everything is designed to allow players to move around and enjoy the game with ease.

Freedom of Growth

In FFXIV, what most MMO players know as "levels" will be the character's "Physical Level." Points you
accumulate in battle can be freely spent on HP/MP, physical strength, intelligence or a variety of other parameters. In other words, you can focus on one aspect of your character, or aim for balance between all stats. The ultimate decision regarding the direction of the character is completely up to the player.

Last edited by Khalus Akuhei on Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic

PostSubject: Re: The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu   Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:56 pm

Alpha Test Hands-On Report

The team from Famitsu were able to create characters and try out the Alpha Version of FFXIV. They put their experiences into two write-ups -- one for Disciples of War and one for Disciples of Magic. Here are the key points of what they had to say.

Kikuo Saji: Roegadyn, Disciple of War, Pugilist

- The Character Creation system is so deep, you'll spend all day tweaking your avatar

- Don't fret too much over Class, you can change at anytime by changing your weapon

- The size difference between Roegadyn and Lalafell is quite massive

- You'll love the variety of new emotes -- Lalefell are especially adorable

- Aetheryte warps you right to where you need to go for Guildleves

- Guildleve difficulty is split into 5 levels, 1 star (easy) 5 stars (hard)

- The locations of target monsters for Guildleve are clearly displayed on your map

- There is a "weakened state" after dying -- HP/MP are lowered and it lasts for 5 minutes

- The game feels incredibly expansive, and it feels like you could walk on forever

- Crabs are back! Apparently Kikuo Saji found a giant one outside town that killed him in one strike!

Opone Kikuchi: Lalafell, Disciple of Magic, Thaumaturge

- There is so much more to do in the alpha compared with the Gamescom version 7 months ago

- Again, feels character creation is like a day's work in and of itself

- Once your MP is spent, you cannot recover it through resting

- Disciples of Magic have a basic magical ranged attack that does not consume MP

- It is possible to move while casting magic, but still important to be aware of the area of effect your spell will cover when cast

- Sheathing your weapon puts you into Passive Mode, which begins to recover HP, making it possible for even magic users to solo effectively
Back to top Go down
Luxtra Vherr

PostSubject: Re: The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu   Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:22 am

The only new things I managed to gather from all that are pretty kewl! Hair highlights shows they really meant it when they said they had a lot of customization, I still wasn't sure if they had meants the two different factions for each race yet XD

I like that skills show you when they're ready, it looks a little like a generic hotbar but not too much so... I'm most interested in the way you level up though, but I fear that in the future people may get shunned for not putting enough points in their HP or something ridiculous like that only time will tell I suppose!
Back to top Go down
http://divinedescent.rpgdynasty.com/

PostSubject: Re: The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu   Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:04 am

Cool!!! I'm excited...well I've been excited but I'm still excited after that news.

The only thing that gives me pause is the no mp regen unless you are at a crystal (I know that they are called aetheryte or whatever but crystal is shorter). Why the HP regen in passive mode and no mp I don't really understand the rational.
Back to top Go down
Luxtra Vherr

PostSubject: Re: The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu   Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:10 am

Brialyn Chroi wrote:
Cool!!! I'm excited...well I've been excited but I'm still excited after that news.

The only thing that gives me pause is the no mp regen unless you are at a crystal (I know that they are called aetheryte or whatever but crystal is shorter). Why the HP regen in passive mode and no mp I don't really understand the rational.

I think it's to add strategy or something XD they mentioned abilities that get MP back, it'll probably be so that you need to be really careful with MP instead of just spending it all on one mob. I'm sure there's a reason, they wouldn't make it so you need to run back and forth from crystals to keep going, at least I hope not...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu   Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:12 am

oh I'm sure there is a reason ^^
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic

PostSubject: Re: The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu   Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:19 am

More new images from this months Famitsu:

Back to top Go down
Foju Kaisiepo

PostSubject: Re: The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu   Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:25 pm

idk, am i the only one here that is against the use of the crystal to the guildleve area straight away? i mean, teleporting like that wont kill the immersion?

i prefer riding a mount or something rideable to the quest area

in that way, we can have more immersion sense than just teleporting to the area of quest =)

but man, those pics are too awesome, the feel of it is more like watching a FF Anime rather than playing it hahaha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu   Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:35 pm

however in ffxi it gets old and anoying waiting for 1 person to arrive because they sjut happen to be in the middle of nowhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu   Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:39 pm

in essence when you make a party you like to start your party rather quickly rather than wait and wait and wait. im sure SE has balanced and thought about this, at 15$ or w/e itll be.. im repeating myself but to put it bluntly. waiting on groups to gather wastes alot of time. a good 2 hours if you ahve to find a rep for soeone leaving and then getting to u.
Back to top Go down
Luxtra Vherr

PostSubject: Re: The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu   Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:05 pm

I could go either way on it... it's true that teleporting there instantly makes it less special and immersive but at the same time it gets tiring going back and forth wasting your time when you're in a hurry and waiting on people to get to your party, FFXI did one, I guess XIV will do the other
Back to top Go down
Foju Kaisiepo

PostSubject: Re: The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu   Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:03 pm

well i understand that, but didn't SE make different level for guildleves? for example, if you didnt find enough group, you could do the 1 star Guildleve while waiting for a group, i think it's fair enough =D
Back to top Go down
Angstrom Sanchez

PostSubject: Re: The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu   Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:10 pm

Twefoju wrote:
idk, am i the only one here that is against the use of the crystal to the guildleve area straight away? i mean, teleporting like that wont kill the immersion?

i prefer riding a mount or something rideable to the quest area

in that way, we can have more immersion sense than just teleporting to the area of quest =)

but man, those pics are too awesome, the feel of it is more like watching a FF Anime rather than playing it hahaha

Iv been getting the same feeling. It needs to be done right.
I think they will for me but might leave many disapointed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu   

Back to top Go down

The Alpha Test _ Hands on from Famitsu
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1