HomePortalLinksInfoMapsRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

Share | 

XCOM Reboot!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Iaesa Xuthalla

PostSubject: XCOM Reboot!   Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:06 pm

Hey guys,

I thought this was pretty interesting, as Khalus and I were just talking about this game last night! Then, boom!, the next day a news article saying that it will be rebooted! Its crazy I know!

Here is the link to the article: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/04/14/xcom-remake-officially-announced/
Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic

PostSubject: Re: XCOM Reboot!   Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Now damnit, you go and get me all giddy to learn more and then I click on the link and the first thing I read was the caption under the image:

Quote :
2K Games officially announced today it is working on a new XCOM game and that it'll be an FPS.

And that right there ends all excitement...this is what I was talking about last night...don't change the core design on the game that already works great and isn't broken. Not like the X-Com IP isn't already trash from the 2 most recent real-time versions released a few years ago. I may still it a change and at least play it but I'm don't think I'll enjoy it cause this is not X-Com. X-Com is a tactical turn-based strategy...its not and shouldn't ever be an FPS....blah!
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Satha Kuuetsija

PostSubject: Re: XCOM Reboot!   Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:28 pm

What's an XCOM?
Back to top Go down
Luxtra Vherr

PostSubject: Re: XCOM Reboot!   Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:02 pm

I got the whole series on Steam once when it was on sale but I had never heard of it before and I have yet to play it o.o lol, I'm a sale whore, I've saved so much money by spending all my money D:

As for changing it, I think it's innovative to re-imagine a series and make it more modern. All they're saying is it's in First Person, so there may still be some strategy elements in there for the fans of the series. Everyone was worried about Fallout 3 at first, but that turned out good, maybe they're going to do something completely different and unique and make XCOM known to people who didn't hear of it before, such as myself and Satha.

At the end of the day sometimes I wonder why people don't like change, if you're going to re-release the same game over and over, why not just go back to the older games and play them over and over and you'll get the same result, save yerself some money too!

But that's just my opinion, I like to see change, it shows effort as long as it's done right... Bioshock 2 didn't change much from Bioshock 1 and that really made it feel like a lazy cash cow project while I played it, thinking it would have been better off as an expansion pack...
Back to top Go down
http://divinedescent.rpgdynasty.com/
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic

PostSubject: Re: XCOM Reboot!   Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:20 pm

Pyrrha Luxtre wrote:

At the end of the day sometimes I wonder why people don't like change, if you're going to re-release the same game over and over, why not just go back to the older games and play them over and over and you'll get the same result, save yerself some money too!

Cause you don't take a turn-based strategy which is heralded as one of the best PC games of all time and butcher it into an FPS. Just make a new version of the old game with updated graphics, and some new features, but for fracks sake don't change the core design into something that its clearly not and try and pass it off as something exciting and new.

Quite frankly I was excited about Fallout III, but after playing it I didn't like it, cause it was no longer a strategy game like the original I & II were!
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Satha Kuuetsija

PostSubject: Re: XCOM Reboot!   Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:51 pm

If it was one of the best PC games of all time I would have heard about it. Especially if it's a strategy game. That just goes to show that what they had before might have been good, but it certainly didn't appeal to the masses. Since this is a business we're talking about, they don't care about the minority. They want the majority of people to buy the game so they can profit more from it. Hence the change to a more mainstream style of game.
Back to top Go down
Angstrom Sanchez

PostSubject: Re: XCOM Reboot!   Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:00 pm

Satha wrote:
If it was one of the best PC games of all time I would have heard about it. Especially if it's a strategy game. That just goes to show that what they had before might have been good, but it certainly didn't appeal to the masses. Since this is a business we're talking about, they don't care about the minority. They want the majority of people to buy the game so they can profit more from it. Hence the change to a more mainstream style of game.

/grabs the popcorn.
Back to top Go down
Luxtra Vherr

PostSubject: Re: XCOM Reboot!   Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:05 pm

Satha wrote:

I actually agree with you for once I think they're just trying to open the series to a new audience, rather than appeal to their old fans because that fan base has probably dwindled over the years, it is an old game so even though it has a cult following they are probably afraid of it flying under the radar of all these new games that they now have to compete with.
Back to top Go down
http://divinedescent.rpgdynasty.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: XCOM Reboot!   

Back to top Go down

XCOM Reboot!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1