HomePortalLinksInfoMapsRegisterLog in
Please read our 'Info' page to learn more about our Linkshell and how to join us!
Please check our 'Links' page for links to all your favorite FFXI and FFXIV Official and Fansite websites! RSS Feeds are there too...

Share | 

Hail to the King, Baby!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Hail to the King, Baby!   Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:50 pm

ASUS ARES 5970

5 pounds of pure, unadulterated power. This card has 2 fully functioning 5870 cores, packing a whopping 4 gigabytes of DDR5 vRam.

It can be yours too for a measly 1200$. Onigiri Dead

Back to top Go down
Corday Rynir

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the King, Baby!   Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:09 pm

/nerdgasm

But seriously... who has a rig that wouldn't bottleneck that beast? I think you'd need that new six-core Intel oc'ed into the next world, 24gb of RAM, a 1200-watt PS, and liquid cooling, JUST to keep things from melting down!

but for $1200... I'll take two in crossfire... omg 8 gigs of VRAM... how disgusting would that be?

Khalus... keep this post cuz in 2 years you'll see me say "8 gigs of VRAM... that's it???"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Back to top Go down
Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the King, Baby!   Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:18 pm

These things apparently run pretty cool. There's 3 pounds worth of copper and aluminum in there, so I wouldn't worry about heat dissipation. It actually uses "only" 300 watts, and ASUS recommends a 750 PSU, so it's not all that bad. Running this thing in CrossFire though... yeah, bring on the 1200. You also need 4x 8 pin connectors and 2 six pin for a CF config. Don't forget it's a 3 slot wide card... so there goes your case room. Would run nice on a quad sli/CF compatible board though... but those are ATX-XL and run around 600$+. In for a penny in for a pound I guess.

Running this with anything less than a 980 x and 16 gigs of ddr3 would be silly.

Back to top Go down
Khalus Akuhei
Furtively Altruistic

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the King, Baby!   Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:16 pm

Interesting, but unless you're creating CG for Blizzard or Square Enix there is no need for that much power in a gamers PC. Heck the most GPU ram a PC game has required thus far is 512mb, besides the recent reveal of FFXIV if I'm correct being the first PC game to recommend 768mb.

More is always good I suppose but looking at that price tag and as you say in 2 years, a card like this will be standard bargain bin crap, then no thx...plus I just don't like ATI, however the design is really nice for once!
Back to top Go down
http://eldritcheponym.rpgdynasty.com
Roan Varuna

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the King, Baby!   Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Require =/= recommended though. You're not gonna max out any DX11 games with 512 mb, that's for sure. This puppy will max out anything, or even 2 of anything.

This card ensures you a good year at the very top of the GPU list (ATI 6xxx series pending). Is it worth the 1200$ though? I personally think not.
Back to top Go down
Dachartach Arnductas

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the King, Baby!   Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:13 am

Yeah, the price is a bit steep. If I was still making $35 an hour I'd consider it. Now? Not so much. While impressive, it's like bringing a Ferrari to a soapbox derby-sure you win, but it's way over anything that could be considered necessary. Still, more power! Hoowah!

Don't tell me all about how power can corrupt a person
you haven't had enough to know what it's like
Back to top Go down
Soten Enki

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the King, Baby!   Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:05 am

Beast of a card but I am far too cheap :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There are some things that can beat smartness and foresight? Awkwardness and stupidity can. The best swordsman in the world doesn't need to fear the second best swordsman in the world; no, the person for him to be afraid of is some ignorant antagonist who has never had a sword in his hand before; he doesn't do the thing he ought to do, and so the expert isn't prepared for him; he does the thing he ought not to do; and often it catches the expert out and ends him on the spot."  -Mark Twain
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hail to the King, Baby!   

Back to top Go down

Hail to the King, Baby!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1