Source: Final Fantasy 14-OnlineAreas:
In the region of Eorzea, there're three big towns: Uldaha in the desert, Gridania in the forest, and Rimsa-Rominsa in the seaside. There're pirates in the latter one. Developers promise to give a story to each inhabitant of these towns. Currency will once again be called "gil".Time/Weather:
* - Day-Night cycle.
* - 1 day Eorzea = 1 hour Earth
* - Weather changes.Armory System:
The game system is named the "Armory System", it depends on character's equipment. To change play style, you need to change equipment parts: this modification is executed in real time.
For example, if you're invited to join a team of warriors to fight the enemies, you only need to wear the corresponding equipment to be ready. Once the party disbanded, you only need to change equipment to come back as a crafter, fisherman, etc.
This freedom will make the solo play easier since a warrior who wants to be cured can change into a healer himself. Thereof the number of inventory's slots is more important than FFXI. The developers thought about an easier way to change equipment.
To get more powerful in each specifications, it is advised to balance out the equipment parts between them. In FFXIV, the equipment's level is essential, even more than the character's level itself. The developers insist once again on the huge freedom of this system wherer change can be made whenever. That's probably why the name of the jobs are more neutral than FFXI. The game's team has deliberately chosen to avoid the usual job class.
* - you can change jobs and lifestyles freely
* - by changing your weapon, you are essneitally changing jobs, and can do so anywhere
* - so if you are invited to a PT and there are a lot of fighters, you can switch to a caster, then when your adventures are over, go fishing or synth some stuff
* - weapons and def gear all have their own merit. if you want to hone a particular skill, you can coordinate your equipment in that direction
* - rather than character levels and skills, the main thing is the skill of the item you are holding
* - you can play on your own and switch between fighter and caster to heal yourself, so soloing is easy
* - changing is as simple as changing your weapon, so there's no stress
* - typical jobs of the FF series, e.g. warrior and black mage, are being avoided
* - you can basically enjoy this world in any way you want. (me: freedom seems to be the main point here)Battle:
Fights are in real-time although the developers point out they won't be the "action" type.
In FFXIV, fights won't be only target and engage the enemy! You'll need to think to other parameters but no more details yet. (the magical barrier in the trailer?)
The items' resistance will be reduced through their use.Guild System:
In FFXIV, guilds delivers licenses/permits to players. These illustrated (and beautiful?) cards match with the missions the character has to fulfill. The players will be able to share these permits (having the card or not) and even decide on the number of persons who can participate to the mission.
The game will be irrelevant to the level of each players but some permits can't be obtained before a definite level. These tasks would take 30min~ to be fulfilled, even if some of them will be shorter. Of course, you can carry several permits at the same time.
Those missions will have different and various goals: monster hunting, enemies' raid, skill ups... These operations are called "etherites" (?) and will allow you to be instantly teleported to the specified area.
* - these are passes of trust you obtain from guilds
* - a Leave is not a quest. it's a card.
* - you can mix your Leaves with other players' Leaves
* - at the Adventurers' Guild, you can get Guild Leaves
* - there are Leaves that you can't get when your skill is low
* - typically a Leave will take 30 mins to complete, there are some shorter too
* - you can set the number of people needed to clear the Leave by yourself (seems to be like a difficulty level)
* - if one person is carrying a Leave, other players may join whether they have the same Leave or not
* - the contents of the Leave change after a week passes
* - you can carry multiple Leaves (they are card form, like invitations)
* - Guild Leaves are designed like Tarot cards and are really beautifulEthelite(sp?):
* - installations that can warp you to your adventuring spot instantlyInterview:
* - in Eorzea, the cities are not all on one connecting landmass, like they were in FFXI
* - the difference between races is not as big as FFXI
* - but their is a difference between male and females, which they are keeping secret
* - character creation: face, hair colour, eye colour, skin, etc. etc.
* - battles are realtime, but not action based
* - targeting an enemy and fighting (like FFXI) is not the main system, there will be a lot that you have to think about besides the target itself.
* - because of the armory system, they are going to make it possible to carry lots of stuff
* - there will also be stuff included that makes it easy to change gear
* - they're considering whether to let you master everything or not - there may be a see-saw like approach (like FFXI)
* - the base of the character growth is the weapon. use a weapon and raise your skills.
* - they are considering the option to let you arrange your windows how you want
* - weapons will degrade with use
* - Guild Leaves include monster hunting, expulsion, skilling up, etc etc
* - when you go on a Leave run, you can use Ethelite to take you where you need to go instantly
* - there are pirates in Rimsa
* - Miqo'te are more catlike
* - some trumpeting about how it's going to be an awesome game
* - right from the start, it'll be exciting and you'll be thinking "orly!?"
* - weather changes, day/night too
* - 1 game day = 1 earth hour
* - people who can only play an hour a day will still be able to enjoy the game
* - the monetary system is Gil
* - the people living in the cities all have their own backstory
* - you'll start the game from your home city (I guess it's based on race, but doesn't say implicitly).
Article Translated by Elmer The Pointy: